Monday, July 20, 2009

Rasta Pasta: Is it just another Bobby Brown?




What do Jamaicans know about Rasta? Do I even need to answer that question? I didn't I just answered a question with another question. What do Rastas know about Pasta? I used to think a lot.

I have been eating Rasta Pasta for about 9 years and I would say that gives me a pretty good idea of what their food should taste like. It used to be the shnip shnap shnitty bang bang. The Chicken Montego Bay might have been in the top 5 pasta dishes ever to fill my endless hole of a stomach.

Since I felt that way the other weekend Monsieur Pierre and myself headied on down to get some of that Montego. Unfortunately for us it looked like the lazy cheap side of being a Rasta had taken over. Normally the dish is filled with different veggies such as bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, red cabbage and even pineapple. There was also never a shortage of chicken in the dish. The sauce had always been a thinner spicier twist on a traditional Alfredo sauce. When this dish was at its peak it was like Robert Barisford, a.k.a Bobby Brown pumping out hits such as My Prerogative. The dishes were decently sized, although a little pricey. They also came with two pieces of their garlic bread which is amazing. Dinner comes with a salad as well. I am a huge fan of the sun dried tomato dressing though their vinaigrette is still good.

After eating it the other day it might as well be Bobby at the height of his blow days where he was giving Miles Davis a run for having more snow than the French Alps. I had about four pieces of veggies in the dish, the sauce which really makes the dish and you normally get enough to wipe up plenty of extra with their delicious garlic bread (fortunately that was still good), was thick like normal Alfredo sauce and really had no flavor to distinguish itself from Ragu Alfredo sauce. Did I mention the name of the dish starts with chicken? When I was around seven my mother told me that in the ingredient list on food, the order determines what is the most abundant in the food. Now I know that pasta is the most fruitful ingredient, but I only had one strip of chicken in my dish. ONE two inch strip of chicken does not allow you to name your dish CHICKEN montego bay.

Maybe it is Rasta Pasta's prerogative to cut back on quality during these rough times, but if I was trying to attract customers to spend their hard earned dimes and nickels I wouldn't be cutting corners. For you see it is my prerogative not to go back to the restaurant until a reliable source (Heather) says things are back to the times that are reminiscent of "Don't Be Cruel"

P.S. I have never been impressed with the service there and this time was no exception. Never got a water refill the whole time.

I give it one Eiffel tower and that was for their Garlic Bread

No comments: